Fast static sites. Real HTML with islands. Built with React and Vite.
- Fela for atomic, fileless & fast component-based CSS
- Ladle component stories
- Responsive images and sharp transformations
- MDX Markdown with Prism syntax highlighting
- First class prerendering (SSR)
- Tiny, fast, static, real HTML pages
- Optional browser JS with tropical-islands or your own progressive enhancements
- Pages, layouts, tags, collections & dates — all the conventions and metadata you need to build a real site or blog
- JSON Feeds
🤔 Compare Tropical with Astro, îles and other Vite-powered static site builders.
Tropical starts from the idea that old-fashioned HTML with minimal browser JS is 🚀 blazing fast™, so it doesn't force you to adopt any of these:
- client-side route transitions
- lazy loading
- code splitting
- Progressive Web App™ and service workers
- full page hydration
If you do want those, go nuts! Tropical is based on Vite's React preset so all Vite features are available. It's also very light on abstractions, so you can easily make it your own without fighting the framework.
No painful API churn 🤕
Once you mint a new site from the template repo, it's your project to make your own.
You won't ever "upgrade" Tropical to a new version. Instead, releases provide guides for updating dependencies and conventions in a Tropical-based project, at your own pace, without any Big Bang version upgrades.
Who built this?
Hi there! I'm Ben, I've been building websites at scale and industrial-strength static site tooling for a while now. I've used the internet in enough far-flung places to have some pragmatic opinions about which web performance strategies really matter.